Monday, October 3, 2011

The Songs Stuck in My Head

I still haven't finished that song.
Actually, it's more like four or five songs. A few weeks ago I sat down to collect and organize all of the bits and pieces I had accrued over the past year or more. I ended up arranging them a tack board (see the picture above) in hopes that if I had something visual to off of which to work I might have more success.
It didn't work, and I'm still where I was weeks ago.
For some reason, the words aren't falling into place. It's rather frustrating. But I'll try again and again until they do.
Mom and Dad took their missionary training this past week. We're now working on putting together our presentation, which includes a video. Mom commented yesterday that she wants me to write a song for Heather to sing at some point during the video.
I'm sure the song we could use is someone in that jumble of words on my tack board. If only I could find it.
I've always balked at forceful creativity in the past. Mostly from stubborn foolishness. I don't have an honestly decent reason. Lately I've been trying to train the creative part of my brain to work whenever, not just when I feel like it. I suppose this is a great opportunity to teach myself to just be creative at will.
It might sound silly, I know, but I used to think that I could only turn out something creative if I was in the mood and "felt inspired". I'm learning that all it takes is sitting down and doing it and I can usually find the creative mood in the process.
I have a favorite quote by Frank Tibolt: "Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."
So I'll force myself to take action and finally get these songs out of my head and onto the page. Hopefully I'll soon be able to post them.
In other news, we have revival meetings at church this week. If yesterday is any indication, it's going to be a fantastic week. Also, because of meetings, we don't have Bible study or Institute, which means I get an extra week to study for the biweekly test we have in Ephesians class.
I know it's a short post, but I can't think of anything else to talk about at the moment. I guess I'll stop here.

No comments:

Post a Comment