Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Honk for Happiness

Getting trucks to honk at us is something of a roadtrip game. On the way to Grandma's, we got nearly 50. We made signs near the end, desperate to hit that number. We also decided we'd have to make good signs for the return trip.
We were a couple hours into the drive home when I actually followed through with that plan. I used three sheets of paper from my small notebook and wrote "SUPPORT HAPPINESS HONK". I tore tags off some of our CD cases and snacks to make the signs stick to my window (front passenger).
Most people have ignored these brilliant signs and we've yet to get a regular car to honk. Passing Chicago, with four hours or so to go, we've only hit 6. However, the last trucker made my day.
We were in the middle of traffic and I always feel funny having someone honk in that situation, but I wanted to try. I started pumping my arm up and down, mimicking the motion of pulling a horn (yes, I'm sure in passing it could easily look like I'm flexing my muscles).
We passed the truck pretty quickly, but the driver happened to see me and gave a happy honk as we went by.
A few seconds later, he came back alongside us. I saw him and waved, and he grinned broadly and waved back. Then he fell back. Apparently he'd caught up just to see what my beautiful signs said, and he liked them.
Day made. Just making another person smile is enough to do that.
Of course, a while later, a sherriff with flashing lights and Mom yelled at me to take down the signs. They got ripped in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment