Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Taking the Adventures as They Come

Our parents raised us to be fairly self-sufficient. We've always done chores, worked for most of our spending money, knew how to entertain ourselves, and learned through living. Life was the fieldtrip, especially right after the big move 9 years ago.
It's because of this fact, I believe, that I survived yesterday.
The "singles" group at church (AKA "College and Career", AKA everyone out of highschool who isn't married) recently started a Bible study at our youth pastor's house. There's always good food (homemade, not pizza!), and it's normal for some of us girls (young women?) to be called upon to help prepare it.
Sunday night, I was asked to bring potato soup, because our youth pastor's wife was going to be out of town. I was also told that if I managed to make contact with the youth pastor, he'd give me some money for supplies.
Finally, around 10:30 the next morning, I got ahold of him. He was nearby and told me to come meet him. When I did, I received not only a credit card, but also a list of things he needed for the Sr. High Bible study (he teaches that first and then comes to his house for the singles') and instructions to call one of the youth workers, who recently had surgery and needed some things picked up.
And then Mom needed me to drop off a newspaper. Downtown.
I've never driven downtown unaided. Since my driving test, I've been terrified with the idea. One-way streets. *shudder*
And then I completely shocked myself by successfully angle parking, delivering the paper, and getting out of the parking space and headed toward Wal-Mart, all while going the correct direction on the maze of one-way streets. Score! And also completely nerve-wracking.
The library was on the way, so of course I had to make a quick stop. My sister has been waiting for a certain book to become available. Like always, it wasn't there.
Then Wal-Mart. This where that whole "learning through living" bit comes in. Whenever Mom had the chance, she was teaching us how to do the seemingly little things of every day life, like shopping. And while I was hunting for the things my youth pastor needed, I was calling his wife and the youth worker for their lists (his wife had a few more things I needed to get for last night), and then calling back when I translated "Velveeta shells and cheese" as "Sullivan" something-or-other. Don't ask. This is why I prefer face-to-face.
But I emerged victorious. And got out of that parking lot alive. Then I had to hunt down the youth worker's appartment. I've been there at least three times, when she's had some of us over, but I always forget where it is. I couldn't use my phone's GPS because I was spelling the name of the street wrong. So I called her back again and finally found her. After going 15 MPH down every nearby street trying to see building numbers.
Then a quick stop at the church to drop off the Sr. High Bible study supplies, and home at last to make the soup.
I've only made it once. It's one of those recipes where we have a general idea of ingredients, but mostly we just throw it all together until it tastes good, trusting our instincts about measurements. Maybe one day I'll take the trouble to write some of these recipes down for future reference.
The first time I made it, it wasn't thick enough (and my whole family likes their soup thick). This time, however, I suceeded. I'll be honest: it was one of the best parts of my day. And everyone seemed to enjoy it, which was nice.
Bible study itself is a whole other story I'd rather not go into....

1 comment:

  1. Funny, cuz I was sure that the Bible Study story you would tell would be different... muahaahaha :)

    ReplyDelete