Wednesday, September 28, 2011

FedEx: Round Two

This month is shaping up to be "get-a-new-phone" month at our house. First Allenna, then Mom, and now me. I was due for an upgrade and, though I despise the forced SmartPhone charge, I decided I might as well get a new phone. (I need a job.) It was due to come in today. This time I was ready.
I was dressed by 9, knowing FedEx comes between then and 1, and while I sat on my bed writing I kept my eyes open.
Just now, the truck arrived.
I walked downstairs, calling Heather to get the dog. This time she did. Hershey had started to whine at the door, but Heather dragged him off to her room and shut him inside. I stood by the door, watching the truck back up into our driveway. The side door slid open, and I commented, "I think it's the same poor lady we had last time."
Heather said, "Really? Oh, no."
When she knocked, I opened the door with a smile. Yup. Same one. "Hello again!"
"Hi," she answered. "Yeah, I was just thinking, 'They're the ones with that crazy dog who ran away.'"
Ouch. So she didn't forget. I laughed and took that horrid device to sign my name. And once again, my 'o' looked like an 'a'. I hate cursive.
She verified the correct spelling, gave me my package, and walked away with no incident. Much to Hershey's chagrin. (I never cared to correct her that our dog is a he, not a she, as she referred to him on her last visit. I felt some small satisfaction in a stranger mistaking his gender. Haha, dog. Small victories.)
Feeling very satsified with myself, I carried my package upstairs to open it up. Why is it that some people get excited at anything new, no matter what it is? It could be a toaster and I'd still be giddy with excitement. (Though perhaps with good cause, because we haven't had one for a year or more.)
A pamphlet loaded with things about my new phone, a bit of bubble wrap, and a pretty little box. How much money must Verizon spend each year just on the production of their phone boxes?
I open the box. (Yes, I'm seriously writing this as I do it. I'm such a dork, I know, but you love me.) Phone, battery and two pieces for the cord, all wrapped in plastic. Way to draw out the suspense.
Yeah, I'm excited. But I'll stop here so I can focus on playing with my new toy.
I don't have any updates because I've managed to post regularly for the past couple of weeks. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment