Saturday, September 24, 2011

Visions of Autumn

Is it just me, or does autumn seem to be synonymous with "wishy-washy"? At least in Michigan, the other three seasons can each be defined by a certain picture. Spring is wet and colorful, with a bit of gray slush on the roads and flowers popping up through the snow, as well as the occasional flood; summer is warm and bright and full of activities and adventure; winter is cold and full of snow and the sound of cars spinning on icy roads or of shovels pushing into snowdrifts. However, I can't pin autumn with a stereotype. Every day I look outside and say, "This is the epitome of autumn" and the next day I say, "No, this is". Maybe I'm the one who's wishy-washy.
For example, the last few days have been gray and drizzly and cold. The trees, shifting from vibrant green to warm red and gold, with the backdrop of looming gray clouds, is one image of autumn. But then there are days like today. I stepped outside to check the mail and was greeted with golden sunshine, blue sky, and birdsong. I like this vision of autumn far better, and right now I'm wishing I had a camera so I could capture it.
Autumn is the season where you blink and it's suddenly there. One minute all is green and warm and the next the grass is brown and the trees are red and the fields are gold.
I've never been able to decide which season I like best. Lately, I've heard people say they prefer autumn over the others, but I don't think it's that way for me. I like autumn, sure, but I much prefer watching flowers bloom and crops grow to watching the plants wilt and fade. Mom grimaces at the thought of spring, no matter what time of year we're in, but I think spring is my favorite. (Considering my birthday is right at the beginning, I may be a bit biased, but still.) I like the rain washing away the snow. I like seeing life sprouting up all over the place. I like the first glimpse of warm sunshine on a world returning to color.
I don't know what's put me in such a poetic mood. Maybe it's the fact that I greeted the day early with tea and cinnamon swirl bread. Maybe it's because I finally, really started Book 2 and I'm finally excited about it. Maybe it's because I spent the last hour browsing awesome pictures on 365project.org. (Like this.) I don't know. Anything is better than the mood I was in when I wrote yesterday. (Glad it made you laugh, Grandma.)
I guess I should get back to writing. One page down, too many more to go.
Which season is your favorite? What's your perfect vision of autumn?

No comments:

Post a Comment