Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mimes, a short recap, and Secretary of State: Part Two.

I started to blog on Friday. Then I got distracted. I'm not even going to try and finish that post.
In short, my last day as a 17-year-old was mostly droll until we got to church and Jessi took me to get ice cream as 7/11 because it was that kind of day. 'Twas happiness.
Thursday ran mostly ordinarily: up early, a short walk with the mutts, co-op (where I received many "happy birthday" wishes and chocolate, a locket, and a cool little thing to hang in my room from the most awesome science teacher in the world and roses from my parents), and paper routes.
Then we headed back to the church. The drama class (in which there remain only four students) were being visited by a real mime, and Mom, Dad, and I were the audience.
The first two and a half hours were nigh torturous. Not going to lie. The drama kids kept going through a few of their scripts and were being instructed and critiqued. Boring.
Then, after a short break during which we all jumped in puddles from the 10 minutes of rain we got, we finally got to see a demonstration of miming. Awesome! Absolutely amazing! And I was happy.
Home to gifts (two tea kettles, tea, chocolate, stuff for my garden, and...I can't remember what else) and ice cream and pizza.
Thus ended my 18th birthday. Each year it gets less and less exciting. Not that I'm complaining.
On Friday I watched the two sons of a missionary family in our church, as I have done for a couple months. They brought me a balloon, a cool basket, and chocolate. Some people are really smart.
I also got started on...starting the seeds for my garden. Some went into the mini greenhouses. (Including a few pepper and squash seeds I'd saved from last year's garden. I'm curious to see how - if - those grow.) The rest went into regular planters.
And that has pretty much been my week. Well, yesterday and today I "researched" for my story by planning out a detailed itinerary of my characters' road trip. (I'm sure everyone who checks facebook has heard about that.) 'Twas most enjoyable, and it got my creative juices flowing. Until yesterday, I hadn't really written in a week, probably.
Yeah, I think that's it.
Wait! On Saturday Mom, us girls, and the dogs walked a mile and a half down to a little park with a lake. (Actually, I'd call it a pond, but the pride of this city would scorn that.) I walked barefoot most of the way. My heels are still sore. Sasha pulled the entire time walking to and from, but while we were at the park she didn't pull at all. She stood or sat still when I wasn't moving and mostly stayed by my side when I was walking around. And she went into the water. Up to her chin but no further. She couldn't seem to grasp the concept of swimming. Not that I'm too upset, but I wasn't in any condition to follow her had she tried to swim. I really need to teach her to just stay close without a leash. We'd both have more fun.
Anyway, by the next morning, Sasha was so worn out and sore she could barely move, and she laid around most of the time. I fear I may have slightly injured her. Ooops. She's still a bit gimpy on the back legs.
Yesterday we had three little kids over (ages 1, 2, and 3) for the day while their mom was at a doctor's appointment. First Sasha eyed them and hid in her crate. When she did finally come out and I locked the crate so she couldn't sulk back in, she hid for a while. I thought maybe she was just nervous of such small children. Then she started making little growling noises in her throat and wouldn't look at the kids or Mom and I. She just stared at the wall. When she finally came out and let the kids pet her, she seemed to be doing okay. Then the oldest (a girl) went to give her a kiss and Sasha got defensive. So she and Hershey spent most of the day outside and the rest in the kitchen. Talk about jealous!
Okay. Now I'm done. I think.
Oh. No, I'm not.
Friday morning Mom and I went to the Secretary of State to figure out what license I need now that I am 18. We were 10th in line, and almost all of the women seemed a bit...vampiric. The nice one that Mom really wanted was kept busy with an older man who was trying to register or re-register his farm truck or something. A bunch of his papers had been mixed up and there was a lot of confusion she calmly and kindly was walking him through, but it was taking forever.
We got the one lady we really did not want. Honestly, if you're going to have a job where human interaction is a main part, you need some people skills. Yes, people are idiots, but you don't have to let them know you know. This woman didn't even need to speak for us to get the message: "I'm not in a good mood and I don't want to talk to you and I think you're stupid." At least, that's the message I got. Seriously, if it's not the job for you and you don't enjoy it, just quit. You'll make everyone's day better.
She was very brusque and rude. When she realized what we needed, she gave me a form to fill out and sent us away. Mom and I waited until she was busy with someone else to stand in the return line. We had the second-nicest lady help us the next time 'round.
I got my TIP (temporary instruction permit) with the 30-day period waived and registered to vote. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment