Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Quest for Ambidexterity

Who needs weight lifting when you have dogs that pull like they're in a sled race and lots of fun games on an X-box Kinect?
Since I started walking the dogs (I know, that's all I seem to talk about lately), my left arm has gotten considerably stronger, because I hold Sasha's leash in that hand and she pulls. Constantly.
And then Wes pulled out his Kinect (the one that's "like the Wii but you don't use a controller") and let us girls play it. I tell you what, the javelin throw and discus are amazing! And I think I pulled a muscle in my arm playing them yesterday. That and Fruit Ninja really throw my wimpy limbs for a loop.
Over the past couple of months (maybe the last year), I've developed a new goal/dream for myself: to become almost entirely ambidextrous. (Y'know, both sides of the body being equally strong and agile.) Why? I don't have a clue. Maybe it's this deep-set fear that one day I'll break or lose my right arm and I'll be completely useless because my left hand can barely hold a pen, let alone use one, not to mention lift things and open things and all manner of other activities that are commonplace for the right hand.
I don't know what prompted the creating of this goal. I'm totally uncoordinated, and very right-hand dominate. If both hands are equal in strength, will that make me more or less coordinated? (Knowing me, the answer will be the opposite of whatever it logically should be.)
Perhaps I want to be ambidextrous (that's such a fun word!) because I'm sick of my right arm getting tired stirring some thick batter but not being able to switch to the left hand and make much progress. (Then again, that might be because I'm kind of a weakling when it comes to arm strength.) Maybe it's because, deep down, I'm jealous of individuals with the tenacity to write with both hands! What a great way to prove me innocent if I'm accused of a heinous crime! ("No, the suspect was clearly right-handed. Look at her! She uses her left hand!")
Whatever the reason, I have a dream. I don't know if I will ever achieve said dream, but it's there to keep me going when I want to throw the discus with my right hand alone. And the fact that I can get a higher score with my left hand makes me feel awesome.
That's it, then. I desire to feel awesome. Ambidexterity is a completely understandable reason to feel like I had skill.
(Let's face it: how many ambidextrous people do you know? Lefties are closer because a lot of things are made that require the use of the right hand, but how many of them even are truly equally balanced? That's what I thought.)

2 comments: